Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My Very First Attempt at Making Pewter Tokens



On the Baronial Sunday of March of the SCA – being a market day in which people sold gear – it was also attempted by various craft workshops.

I’d long been curious about finding a way to make better pendants for my Anne Boleyn / Ugly Betty style necklaces, so I was keen to give pewter making a go.

This particular class taught you how to make pewter ‘tokens’ – basically tiny decorative pendants that have a design on one side and is completely flat on the other.
 


Due to the fact we were making one-off designs, it was better for us to use soapstone rather than plaster of paris or silicon. This is more to do with the fact that the stone is easier to shape…

Soapstone turned out to be ridiculously easy to carve, basically to make more detailed things, it just required hours of gently scraping the stone. I pretty much just went right in with heavily chiseling into it with the tools – informed by the teacher as being basic clay carving tools…

I decided to start off with a basic heart shape, then added dolphins on the sides (as wings are just too overdone!). My dolphins didn’t really look like dolphins at all as I was too hasty in my carving, so I decided to turn them into fish instead. Initially, I’d wanted to create a mini crown above the heart with the loop to hang the token from just above it. The crown design turned out to be a little too tricky for me to carve at such limited time (we were getting close to 8pm) that I decided to just have it as 3 lines instead. Most of my time in the end was spent deepening the main heart shape due to the fact that it wasn’t ‘sucking’ the molten pewter into the mold enough to reach the other parts of the design. The main heart part was seeming rather 'empty' to me, so I decided to carve the ancient Greek word 'kalos' (beautiful) in mirror style (so the word comes out the right way) across the middle. Most of the design was 'drawn' using this mini needle-like file with a very sharp point (which was also very handy for deepening thin lines (like the 'crown' and the loop). I also know now that it is very important to make sure that the design is pretty deep (say 2 – 4 mm opposed to the suggested 1 mm) in order to make sure that the molten pewter runs into the mold enough.

It is also important for every carved mold to include a funnel to give the molten pewter something to run into to reach the hollowed-out parts of the stone in order to create the design. To help the pewter cool in the right way, it was also important to include mini ‘air-vents’. 


The creation of the tokens was pretty easy for the molten pewter part, where the flat side of a thick block of wood was pressed against the mold, and then the molten pewter was poured in. The excess pewter formed by the funnel was simply cut off using jewellery cutters… 

I think overall my design turned out pretty crude, but not too bad for a first-time pewter token maker…



No comments:

Post a Comment